Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Book Review: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella


Title: Finding Audrey
Series: -
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Young adult & Contemporary
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Publish Date: 2016 (First published in 2015)
Pages: 280

Book blurb: An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

Overall rate: ★★★★☆ (4 out of 5)

Book cover: 4/5

Story plot: 4/5

Characters: 4/5

Language: 4/5

Favourite excerpt from the book:

(Linus) I'm sorry you have to go through all this.

(Audrey) Me too.

(Linus) It won't be forever. You'll be in the dark for as long as it takes and then you'll come out.

(Audrey) You think?

(Linus) My aunt grows special rhubarb in dark sheds. They keep it dark and warm all winter and harvest it by candlelight, and it's the best stuff. She sells it for a fortune, btw.

(Audrey) So, what, I'm rhubarb?

(Linus) Why not? If rhubarb needs time in the dark, maybe you do too.

(Audrey) I'm RHUBARB?!




I'm not really a fan of Sophie Kinsella- no, I don't dislike her books, I just don't read chic lit books much. I can't even remember if I have read any books from Kinsella's Shopaholic series or not. But something made me really want to read Finding Audrey. It could be that this is Kinsella's first young adult book, and it could also be because this story touched a little bit on psychological matters.

I'd like to thank my friend, Anisah, for buying this book for me, by the way ♡


CHARACTERS: I totally adore the characters in this story, especially little Felix! Audrey Turner comes from a family of five, and she is the only daughter. This explains why her mother is very protective over her matters, and of course, because Audrey was diagnosed to a few psychological problems.

Her family was a very loving one, despite Audrey's older brother, Frank Turner, being a game addict and it was bothering their mother a lot. I had a great time reading about Ann Turner's antics. She reads the Daily Mail and trusts it completely, making her actions a bit over the top. But I like her relationship with the husband, Chris Turner. I just love the Turners. It would be great to have brothers like Frank and Felix. Finding Audrey really showed a strong bond between siblings and family.

As for Audrey, I think she's a really nice character, and her progress to recover made me love her more. She wanted to be better, even though her lizard brain tried its best to pull her back down. For that, I like her strong will to get better. And then there's Linus. Linus is quite a witty person and a really kind boy. He was one of the reasons Audrey managed to fight her fears, and he was always there for her. It's safe to say that the world needs more Linus who can be supportive to the girls that they love.

Oh and I'm fond of Dr. Sarah too. I hope I'll be someone like her too one day, I'd love to help people (like Audrey) to become better.



PLOT: Finding Audrey tells about the daily life of the Turners and Audrey's journey to become a better someone that she currently is. The plot was really good, even from the start. I didn't find a time where I wish I could skip it. I love that the whole family was supportive to Audrey, and even Linus too. I personally think that Finding Audrey is a nicely written story. I wouldn't say this story will be in my list of favourites, but I totally have no problem with it.



RECOMMEND: If you're looking for a light read with a touch of love and family bond, Finding Audrey is perfect for you. I'd recommend this to all book lovers, because I think Sophie Kinsella did a great job in exposing a small part of how people that suffer from psychological problems feel. Everyone has that time where they feel worthless. If you're feeling that way, just remember that there are people who love you just the way you are. Stay close to the people that you love and do the things that makes you happy.



Till next time ♡ Love, Aishah Humaira'

Post a Comment