Friday, April 08, 2016

Monthly Movie Review: March 2016

I haven't written any monthly movie reviews for months, and since I have been rather inactive here due to lacking of inspirations, I decided to write another monthly movie review more like movie rant though.




The Good Dinosaur: Luckily for young Arlo, his parents (Jeffrey Wright, Frances McDormand) and his two siblings, the mighty dinosaurs were not wiped out 65 million years ago. When a rainstorm washes poor Arlo (Raymond Ochoa) downriver, he ends up bruised, battered and miles away from home. Good fortune shines on the frightened dino when he meets Spot (Jack Bright), a Neanderthal boy who offers his help and friendship. Together, the unlikely duo embark on an epic adventure to reunite Arlo with his beloved family.

Rating: ★★★★★ (5 out of 5)

Review: If you have known me long, you will know how much I love animated movies. To prove that, let me admit this: in just two days, I watched Good Dinosaur for five times! See how much of an addict I am? I really would not mind watching it for the sixth time.

Good Dinosaur got me into quite an emotional wreck (yes, even after five times watching). It started from the time Arlo and his siblings first hatched, and how he grew up in the family. Arlo was rather small and weaker than his siblings, he was basically scared of everything. When his father made him set up a trap and he caught something, he released it instead of killing it as he was instructed. That frustrated his father so his father took him into the woods to chase the thing that they have caught and kill it, in order to prove that Arlo could survive on his own. That was when the tide rose and Arlo's father was killed. I wanted to cry then, the "You are me, and more" was seriously so heartbreaking.

Not long after Arlo's father's death, the thing that he had caught came back to eat Arlo's family's food. In a fit of rage, he chased the thing and eventually fell into a river. That started the journey of Arlo and the thing, which was actually a human boy that Arlo named as Spot after spending time together. Arlo and Spot's friendship was so adorable. Spot seemed to really appreciate Arlo releasing him from the trap, and soon, Arlo became fond of Spot too. Their journey to go back home was very inspiring, and I found myself attached to the story each time I watched it. And the fact that the T-Rex in the story are good dinosaurs, it taught me to never judge anyone from their appearance.

I am still torn over the fact that in the end, Spot and Arlo had to go separate ways. Spot found a human family of his own, so Arlo went home alone to his own family and during this scene, I did cry. It was a really beautifully made story, there were many moral values inside it. I am definitely going to re-watch it soon!





Splash Splash Love: Danbi is a senior high school student taking the College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT). However she has an irrational fear of maths, and in order to escape taking the test travels through a time portal to the Joseon era. In Joseon she is mistaken for a eunuch and serving in the palace becomes a confidante of King Lee Do. Danbi finds that in the Joseon Dynasty her high school level of maths and science makes her the greatest scientist in the entire Kingdom, falling in love with the King she inspires him in his reform of the country. However, fearing for their own privileges, Danbi becomes the target of traditionalist courtiers who seek her death. Having a hand in saving both the King and the Queen, Danbi becomes friends with the Queen who, in order to allow the King and Danbi to be together, endorses Danbi becoming a royal concubine. Presented to the Queen Dowager, who is a doppleganger of her own mother, Danbi becomes very home sick and taking her leave of the King returns to the present day. Returning to the exact moment of her departure, Danbi becomes determined to sit the CSAT, having learnt in her sojourn in Joseon that problems are not solved by running away, but by facing them.

Rating: ★★★★★ (5 out of 5)

Review: Splash Splash Love is actually a two-episode drama special, but since the run time is basically just like a movie, I decided to include it here too. This is a story of a high school girl, Danbi, trying to run away from life because she was not confident in herself, in her studies. Her wish to escape was fulfilled when she suddenly jumped into a puddle that led her back hundred years ago, to the Joseon era. There, she was misunderstood as an eunuch so people thought she was a man.

In order to survive, she needed to help the kingdom to get rain again, because it had been drought for so many years. While she was trying to survive, her frequent meeting with the King made both of them started to develop feelings for each other. I had a great time watching this drama. Even though most of the scenes were nonsensical, but it was a fiction anyway. The sense of humour and comedy is real good, and when combined with some romance, I gotta say this one is an amazing one!

Of course, in the end, Danbi and the King could not be together, for she had to go back home. But this drama taught me two things. First, you have to work hard to succeed. It's okay to fail, stand up again and fight for it. Second, if you are meant to be with someone, you will be with him/her. Because after Danbi went back to the present time, she did meet a guy with the same look as the King. They were meant for each other ♡





May Who: Super standard girl in school (May Who) is on a quest to win the love of a school senior heart-throbber (Fame) with his new-found friend (Pong). The only secret is that she can shot electricity when she gets excited.

Rating: ★★★★☆ (4 out of 5)

Review: Pong was actually in love with another girl, but when his life got tangled up with May as he learnt her secret, he slowly fell for May instead. Normally, I do not really enjoy high school love stories because they tend to get cheesy and I think high school students are still too immature to understand the real meaning of love. But I found myself really loving May Who.

It was a really funny movie, filled with relatable issues of being stuck in a one-sided love and high school issues. I like the fact that they put on comics in the movie too. And the fact that May shoots out electricity when she gets excited or scared or shocked was really something different. I really rooted for Pong, even before he started liking May, because their friendship was so cute and his reaction whenever she threatened to shock him with her power was too adorable.

I felt bad for Fame because he was the one who ended up being the on caught in a one-sided love, but he was good looking anyway so it would not be hard for him to find someone else.






Goosebumps: Upset about moving from the big city to a small town, young Zach Cooper (Dylan Minnette) finds a silver lining when he meets his beautiful neighbor Hannah (Odeya Rush). The teen is surprised to learn that Hannah's mysterious father is R.L. Stine (Jack Black), the famous author of the best-selling "Goosebumps" series. When Zach accidentally unleashes the monsters from the fantastic tales, it's up to Stine, his daughter and Cooper to return the beasts back to the books where they belong.

Rating: ★★★★★ (5 out of 5)

Review: I only read a few books from R. L. Stine. The most memorable one is related to a mummy, and there were many endings for it. I could not recall the name of the book, but it was a really fun book! I wish I can read again books that will lead to different endings when you chose different pages.

Anyway, when I first heard that they were making a movie about Goosebumps, I was totally hooked (sucks that I only managed to watch it recently). And Jack Black is in it too! What else would I ask for? Nothing. Because this movie is totally amazing. I love the interaction between Zach and Hannah, the grumpy R. L. Stine and even Champ's weird and funny character. The monsters were frightful too, especially the ghouls at the graveyard and Slappy, the talking dummy. Goodness, Slappy gave me actual goosebumps!

All in all, this is a great movie, with a lot of humour and surprises that would definitely give you goosebumps.





The Witness: A blind woman (Yang Mi) and a deliveryman (Lu Han) investigate a hit-and-run accident after the police fail to find any promising leads.

Rating: ★★★★☆ (4 out of 5)

Review: The Witness is a remake of Blind (2011), a South Korean movie. Extra info: Blind is, and still is, one of my all time favourite movie. When I heard that they were making a Chinese version of it, I was more than excited for it. It was also a bonus that Lu Han starred in the Chinese version.

I like the fact that they kept most of the scenes the same, except for a few additional scenes here and there. It was cute that they made Linchong rollerskate instead of riding a scooter like Giseob in Blind. It still amazed me how much a blind person could know without actually seeing anything. I do believe that a blind person could do a lot of good for the world too.

Even though I have no problem with The Witness (except for the part where the police broke into the criminal's house, because that, was so unprofessional and senseless), I think I still preferred the Korean version.







Demonic: A violent slaughter occurs in an abandoned house in Louisiana where three college students are found dead. Detective Mark Lewis (Frank Grillo) examines the crime scene and finds a shocked survivor, John (Dustin Milligan) before calling reinforcements. Several police cars then arrive at the house alongside an ambulance and a psychologist, Dr. Elizabeth Klein (Maria Bello). She talks to John, who tells her that a seance performed in the house called the attention of many spirits, including one he identified as his mother, and that two of the group members, consisting of his pregnant girlfriend and her ex boyfriend, are still missing.

Rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 out of 5)

Review: Just like how much I enjoyed watching animated movies, I enjoy horror and dark movies too. Demonic was recommended by a good friend of mine, and because usually, our taste in horror movies were the same, I decided to give it a try. I was disappointed to find out that Demonic was not my kind of horror.

Firstly because Demonic used the element of video recording/taping (uh, how do I explain this? I mean, like, Paranormal Activities style?). I dislike movies like these, so that was a huge turn off. Their reason to come and film at the house was rather nonsense too. But I like the fact that the John that was being interrogated by the detective and psychiatrist was actually the demon, and the real John was dead. That would probably be the only scene that I liked.

It was frustrating that the demon will be using the late-John and his girlfriend's baby as a vessel though. If there would be Demonic 2, sorry to say but I am definitely not going to watch it.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Till next time ♡ Love, Aera

Post a Comment