Saturday, October 06, 2018

Movie Review: Tomorrow I Will Date with Yesterday's You (2017)


  • Title: My Tomorrow, Your Yesterday (English title) / Tomorrow I Will Date With Yesterday's You (literal title)
  • Romaji: Boku wa Ashita, Kinou no Kimi to Date Suru
  • Japanese: ぼくは明日, 昨日のきみとデートする
  • Director: Takahiro Miki
  • Writer: Takafumi Nanatsuki (novel), Tomoko Yoshida
  • Producer: Hisashi Usui, Kei Haruna, Yasushi Hashimoto
  • Cinematographer: Kosuke Yamada
  • Release Date: December 17, 2016
  • Runtime: 111 min.
  • Genre: Youth / Romance
  • Country: Japan
  • Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Takatoshi Minamiyama (Sota Fukushi) majors in art at an university in Kyoto. On the train to the school, he sees Emi Fukuju (Nana Komatsu) and falls in love with her at first sight. Gathering up all his courage, he speaks to her. They begin to date and enjoy happy days together, but Emi reveals her secret to him.
My rating: 3.5/5 stars (★)

Honestly, I had a high expectation for this movie. Most of my friends and Twitter users that watch Japanese movies recommended this film, claiming that it is one of the best teen romance movies. Some even said to have cried their hearts out over it. Alas, I couldn't agree wholeheartedly with them. I was mostly confused during the entire movie.

Just reading the synopsis, you won't get to tell what the movie is all about and why is the title that way. I can hardly explain what the story is about as I might spoil the plot line, but what I can say is that Takatoshi and Emi are from a different timeline in this world. Takatoshi's life moves forward just like a normal person, but Emi's life is more complicated than that. Her life moves towards the past, and until now I have no idea why. It's something that is rather difficult to be understood.

I do agree that the whole idea of different timelines moving is amazing, but I'm not quite sure how to make it when it comes on screen. I couldn't get into the story much because I was busy trying to get my head around what was actually going on. 

There were nothing wrong with the main characters, Takatoshi and Emi fit each other so well, it is good to see them being together. Their relationship is adorable, although I still have no idea why they are meant for each other. And I just couldn't understand why is it that Takatoshi could tell her the truth when she was young, why didn't Emi do the same to him when he was young? See, even my question is confusing enough.

Overall, I did actually enjoy the parts where I can comprehend what is going on. The ending might have touched me a little, but there were no tears involved because I could not invest myself too much into the characters. 

Till next time ♡ Love, Aishah Humaira'

4 comments

  1. i've watched this movie but honestly i was quite confused too..some parts.... but overall its not really bad after all. Some people suggest to watch it 2 times so you could understand the movie better but im too lazy haha


    http://mylittlestoryi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It's not bad, it's just a bit too confusing.
      I also don't think I have the time to rewatch it, there are other movies to watch rather than confusing myself once again hahah

      Delete
  2. you probably watched the movie with bad subs. if you actually buy the bluray it has great subs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I had no issues with the subtitles, it was the storyline that confused me. But perhaps I could have had a better understanding of the story if I did buy its bluray like you suggested.

      Thank you for reading 🤍

      Delete