Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Movie Review: Annabelle: Creation (2017)


Annabelle: Creation (2017): Former toy maker Sam Mullins and his wife, Esther, are happy to welcome a nun and six orphaned girls into their California farmhouse. Years earlier, the couple's 7-year-old daughter Annabelle died in a tragic car accident. Terror soon strikes when one child sneaks into a forbidden room and finds a seemingly innocent doll that appears to have a life of its own.

My rating: 5/5 stars (★)

For years, I've thought that nothing can surpass the horror of the first Conjuring movie, but today I was proven dead wrong. Annabelle: Creation was almost everything a good horror movie should be, it had the right amount of suspense and terror. It just made you wonder continuously who's blood would be shed next, and who would be haunted once again by the doll. Another element making it a great horror movie is having one of the most scary thing: dolls.

If you have watched the trailer, you'll catch the gist of the story. A pair of couple who was unable to accept the death of their only daughter, ended up bringing the dead spirit back through the doll. Obviously, things didn't go well after quite a time living with the undead. The plot seemed rather cliche to me at first, but there was definitely a lot more than that. This was not the typical ghost-seeking-for-revenge thing, but more of demonic things. Ghosts can't hurt you, but demons, they're different than that. 

The Conjuring franchise used a lot of Christian things, and even though I'm not in that faith, it opened my eyes more on how people with other religion dealt with cases like this. Janice, one of the orphaned girls, even with her faith and Sister Charlotte's constant reminder that she was wrong, fell for the doll's call. I was angered throughout the whole story, because when someone warns you to not open a door, do not open it- but. But. When I think about it again, it was definitely not Janice's fault. The demon called for her, and it was hard for a young girl like her to resist it, no matter how scared she was. 

My horror-loving self loves every single part of the movie, and my hatred towards dolls increased tenfold more. The sound effect irked me, but it did a great job in adding the suspense. The execution of the horror elements were to be applauded, and I'm marking this with a small spoiler; my favourite horrific part would be when Linda was chased by a half-body bloodied woman that was crawling on the floor...

Well, that's it. I have a lot more to say to be honest, but I'm afraid that I will give too much spoilers. If you loved Annabelle: Creation too, do talk to me because I need someone to rant to!

For horror movie fans, this is a must watch!


Till next time ♡ Love, Aishah Humaira'

Post a Comment