Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Movie Review: Arrival (2017)


Arrival: Linguistics professor Louise Banks (Amy Adams) leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world. As nations teeter on the verge of global war, Banks and her crew must race against time to find a way to communicate with the extraterrestrial visitors. Hoping to unravel the mystery, she takes a chance that could threaten her life and quite possibly all of mankind.

My rating: 3.5/5 stars (★)

Arrival is probably one of the only brilliant alien-related movie that I have ever watched in my entire life. I grew up hating any alien-related movies thanks to the Alien VS Predator franchise, so alien movies were just a no go for me. But somehow, I was glad that a friend of my suggested me to watch Arrival, because boy, this is a totally different from any cliched alien invasion movies.

The story started with Louise Banks reminiscing the time she spent with her daughter, who turned out dying because of cancer. I couldn't see the relation between her memories of her daughter, with the sudden arrival of the aliens (in their football shaped pods) at first, and throughout the movie, the biggest question is why on earth were the aliens on the Earth?

It was interesting to see that the aliens had their own language, their own way of expressing their messages, instead of some typical alien stories where everything and everyone speaks in English. Because we all know, English is not the only language existing in the universe, obviously. As a language student myself, I got hooked up the moment they tried to decipher the language of the aliens, even though it was quite unbelievable, the way they deciphered it. But anything is possible, and I just think that Louise Banks was really intelligent and brave. If she's a real person, I would have absolutely idolised her.

The aliens reminded me of squids, and it was kind of cute that Louise and Ian called the two aliens that conversed with them as Abbot and Costello. I'm upset at what happened to Abbot in the end, but Costello's message to Louise was overwhelming. Things went a lot worse when the people from different countries refused to cooperate with each other, confirming that some humans are dumb and cooperation between mankind was the very thing that we need when the world is collapsing. Helping each other is better than being at war with each other.

All in all, Arrival was a good movie. The plot twist in the end was mind blowing, though I got a little bit angered at how things actually turned out. But if you're a fan of alien movies or sci-fi, do add this in your to watch list!


Till next time ♡ Love, Maira

Post a Comment